5 km from Troyes, the château, surrounded by moats, was built in 1626 in the true Louis XIII style. It is surrounded by 10 hectares of grounds which bear the “Jardin remarquable” (outstanding garden) label, with a French-style garden and an English-style section.
The fortified “Maison de Barberey” was owned in the 14th century by Guillaume du Plessis, bailiff of Troyes, then by Marshall de Choiseul-Praslin, governor of the city in the late 16th century. It was bought in 1596 by Louis Le Mairat, a merchant and mayor of the city, who was given permission to enclose his seignorial home with walls, ditches and drawbridges. However, it was not until 1626 that Nicolas Le Mairat, his youngest son, had the current château built. Advisor to the Great Council and the King’s Councils, Nicolas Le Mairat normally lived in Paris to fulfil his high offices, which explains the outstanding architectural quality of the home that he decided to have built on his paternal estate.
One never tires of admiring the skill with which the builder has combined the volumes of the central building, the wings, the pavilions and the roof space, and the mastery he has shown in inserting the brickwork into the structure of the building, made of local stone.
A superb classical building in the Louis XIII style, the main house (three floors) topped by a beautiful slate roof is distinctive for its skilful laying of brick and stone (panels, cordons and casing). The château is owned by Mr. and Mrs. Cuny, who were responsible for saving and completely restoring it (the French-style garden was recreated after 1965 and the grounds were extended to 10 hectares of French-style gardens). It has been listed as a Historic Monument since 1980 for its facades and roofs, while the rest of the building has been listed in the Supplementary Inventory of Historic Monuments since 1930.
Park open from August 1st to September 15th from 10h to 12h and from 14h to 18h
Open during Heritage Days and Rendez-vous aux jardins
All year round by appointment for groups.
Adult: 3 euros
Under 18 years old: Free
- MORE INFORMATIONS
Park accessible to people with reduced mobility
- Address: 1 rue Danton, 10600 Barberey Saint Sulpice
- GPS: 48.33703209999999,4.0362411999999495
- Phone: + 33 3 25 81 24 90